Re: distribution of 2.4.x source for PPC (Re: Install on UATA)

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 05:16:50AM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:

> Ner.  It uses a gzip'd coff linked kernel.  And bizarrely you do
> have to make it part of the package because you are supposed to be
> able to make bootable floppies from those kernel-image packages.
> And the miboot thingy is the only way on oldworlds, as you know.

kernel-images have NEVER been able to make bootable floppies on
powermacs.  niether have boot-floppies (the installer).

they can never make miboot floppies anyway since miboot cannot enter
the debian archive since it can't be compiled.  it would have to go in
contrib as it requires proprietary compilers on a proprietary OS.

> > or perhaps teach yaboot/quik/silo to boot the OF images...
>
> Nah.  It would probably be less work to just have a huge
> proliferation of packages.  One for pmac-old, one for pmac-new (we

see the recent flamewar about the 3 dozen varieties of i386
kernel-image packages....

> really should not keep treating these two like one arch, it's so
> confusing, especially for newbies), one for prep, one for chrp ...
> then you just download the one you want.  It would mean less
> downloading for most people (which I am guessing are pmac-new) since
> they only need the yaboot kernel in the package.  No boot floppy
> issues for those lucky bastards.

i tend to agree that oldworld may need its own kernel-image package,
but i am not really enchanted with that idea either....  i am less
enchanted with having more useless cruft in /boot though.

the problem is kernel-package AFAIK doesn't have much of a mechenism
to deal with all this, we would probably have to implement a bunch of
fake targets like --mibootcruft --coffcruft --openfirmware --silo

the latter being a simple vmlinux that is optionally gzipped (thats
how sparc does it and thats how we will do it too as soon as silo
supports powerpc).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/