Re: distribution of 2.4.x source for PPC (Re: Install on UATA)

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 04:18:53PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:

> Er.  'zImage' makes an OF-bootable image for NewWorld, OldWorld and miboot.
> The 'zImage.pmac' link points to the NewWorld because there's people out
> there who don't use yaboot even. :)
>
> > 1: an image suitable for standard bootloaders: yaboot, quik
> $(TOPDIR)/vmlinux

ok no change there..

> > 2: an image suitable for booting directly via OF: ??
>
> arch/ppc/boot/vmlinux.{coff,elf-pmac} # PowerMacs
> arch/ppc/boot/zImage.chrp{,-rs6k} # CHRP boxes.

eek..  i really don't want to see kernel-image contain 5 images!  esp
since we currently have different kernel-image packages for chrp, prep
and pmac, it would be pointless to have broken chrp/prep/rs6k images
in the -pmac package.

> > 1: is the priority, 2 is not so important, just a would be handy.
> > (esp for bootfloppies, perhaps).
>
> For PMac I assume you mean...  I know yaboot does work on CHRP, but..

well debian uses yaboot on chrp as well, if it means enforcing that
over having 5 images in the package then so be it.  root filesystems
are small so that is too much bloat.  now if there is a way to make
kernel-package know what subarch the target is and only install the
relevant images then thats fine.  (eg: -pmac -> vmlinux
vmlinux-coff).

why can't yaboot/quik use the arch/ppc/boot/vmlinux.elf-pmac image?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/