Re: G4 Cube FWUpdate -->boot fiasco

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 11:02:06AM +0200, Karl-Heinz Haag wrote:
> Quoting Ethan Benson (erbenson@alaska.net):
> > On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 04:18:00AM +0200, Karl-Heinz Haag wrote:
> >
> > if you have a newworld your best way to fix that right now is:
> >
> > apt-get --purge remove quik
> okay
>
> > you should use make-kpkg from the kernel-package to build a kernel
> > .deb its much simpler and straighforward then all of this.
> I'll do so.
> I suppose this home-brewn kernel image will not ask whether activating a
> boot block with 'quik' as the image did I fetched with apt-get yesterday...

it will if you have quik installed.  --purge quik to get rid of that.
whenver bugs.debian.org comes back ill file a bug asking to have that
at least turned off for newworlds.   we will see about ybin stuff
instead.

> All clear to me so far.
> Next question: Creating a boot 'fallback' to the new kernel?
>
> On i386 you can stop the lilo bootup by pressing the 'shift' key, and
> 'Tab' shows boot alternatives you created in /etc/lilo.conf. With this
> you can boot different Linux kernel images and other OS on the HDD.

same with yaboot:

image=/vmlinux.old
	label=linux.old
	root=/dev/whatever
	read-only

there is no `prompt' keyword in yaboot, thats implicit.  set
timeout=50 or 100 whatever you want, as with lilo its in tenths of
seconds.

> How enabling to boot the new kernel by default and -by choice- elder
> ones as well? The new one could be broken or bad configured....
> My situation now is that I'm booting into Debian via OF:
> 	boot hd:9,yaboot

you should not be booting that way.  remove nonvram from your
/etc/yaboot.conf and you should boot right into yaboot without manual
and dangerous OF fsckage.

> Where can I find some stuff to read about that besides man yaboot/ybin?

the man pages are very good in sid's yaboot, there is also
http://penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/