Re: G4 Cube FWUpdate -->boot fiasco

Quoting Ethan Benson (erbenson@alaska.net):

> it sounds like the nvram is corrupted, this is not normal behavior
> regardless of a linux installation.
>
> shut it down, and boot it cold while holding down command option p r
> keep them down until it reboots itself 3 or more times.  this should
> reset the nvram to sane defaults, and if your bootstrap partition is
> first it should boot into debian.  if you still have difficulty with
> the debian bootloader i recommend you check that your using the
> current yaboot package in potato, and rerun mkofboot -f.  i highly
> recommend you get the yaboot package from woody and install that
> however, its more reliable.   remember you MUST rerun ybin or mkofboot -f
> after upgrading the yaboot package, the active bootlaoder is NOT
> upgraded until you do.

Thank you very, very much for your help.
I'll try the rebooting torture tomorrow.
Since Monday I am completely in 'unstable' and with your tips to me and
the others for the last 2-3 hours I again was able to boot into Debian
via the OFW.

The first thing I did was to apt-get the 2.2.19 kernel-image.
Q refering to that: what is with that 'quik.conf' and 'quikconfig' for
NewWorld machines. Does it really write a boot block?
I can't believe that it has any function. It had no active entries in
the juvenile install configuration! Or what is the corresponding
thing to 'lilo' on i386 platform?
That leads me to the Q of how compiling a kernel for PPC:
I succeeded on Monday in: make dep clean zImage modules modules_install
 ('b'zImage is not supported by the Makefile; why? - is there something
  corresponding? Or does the 'better' PPC hardware not urge to such
  measures)
But what's next? Corresponding to 'make bzlilo' or 'make bzdisk'?
How do you activate a boot block overtaking the new kernel file?
Is it sufficent to cp System.map and new-built kernel file to /boot/...
and linking /vmlinux to it?
Commandig mkofboot and/or ybin after that?
I need some information at this point....

Thanks in advance,
Karl-Heinz