Re: switching to linux keycodes in woody

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 08:18:57PM -0400, Adam Goode wrote:
> Yes, I think that this is a great idea. I've been using i386 keycodes
> for a few months now, and it's nice to have ctrl-alt-del work properly.
>
> The only problems I see with this:
>
>  * On Apple keyboards (USB or ADB), this swaps the "natural" position
>    of alt (option) and meta (Apple). I have no problem with this, as
>    I use a PC USB keyboard, and before the change, the Windows key and
>    alt key were improperly switched. (Apple keyboard + i386 keycodes
>    or PC keyboard + ADB keycodes = swapped alt/meta.)

this is a non-issue IMO, if the user does not like
the swap its very easy to edit the keymap to swap them  back.  all of
two line change.  i did this myself because that annoyed me as well.
(apple puts alt in the wrong place hehe).  it really isn't any
different then sun people fixing thier x86 keyboard to put caps lock
`where it truly belongs, where the control key is'. or vise versa.

>  * XFree86 4.0.3 currently cannot work completely correctly on PPC with
>    i386 keycodes, the arrow keys and a few other keys are mapped
>    completely incorrectly. The fix for this is to set XkbModel to
>    "powerpcps2" instead of "pc104". This took a long time to find,
>    until I saw in some xkb file that this was necessary because of
>    alleged "kernel bugs". (??)
>    Of course, pc104 doesn't work with ADB keycodes either.

interesting.. running showkey on both my x86 and powerpc the arrow
keys are producing the exact same keycodes.  this is 2.2.19.  i don't
see why X would have a problem.. are you sure this is still the case?
(i don't run X on powerpc)

> Keeping these in mind, I suggest that you go ahead with this change.
> (And maybe figure out what's wrong with xkb?)

theres one vote in favor