Re: switching to linux keycodes in woody

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 04:42:34PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 08:18:57PM -0400, Adam Goode wrote:
> > Yes, I think that this is a great idea. I've been using i386 keycodes
> > for a few months now, and it's nice to have ctrl-alt-del work properly.
> >
> > The only problems I see with this:
> >
> >  * On Apple keyboards (USB or ADB), this swaps the "natural" position
> >    of alt (option) and meta (Apple). I have no problem with this, as
> >    I use a PC USB keyboard, and before the change, the Windows key and
> >    alt key were improperly switched. (Apple keyboard + i386 keycodes
> >    or PC keyboard + ADB keycodes = swapped alt/meta.)
>
> this is a non-issue IMO, if the user does not like
> the swap its very easy to edit the keymap to swap them  back.  all of
> two line change.  i did this myself because that annoyed me as well.
> (apple puts alt in the wrong place hehe).  it really isn't any
> different then sun people fixing thier x86 keyboard to put caps lock
> `where it truly belongs, where the control key is'. or vise versa.

Yeah, that's probably a matter of taste, but a more substantial issue
might be if there are localized Linux-keymaps available for Apple keyboards?
I have only seen international (well, german, at least) keymaps that put
the characters that are not directly accessible ([]{}\@, e.g.) on the
IBM layout-locations, which is neither where anyone usually using a Mac
would look for them, nor where they are printed on the newer Apple
keyboards. It might not be that much work to create correct ones
(unless they are already  existing and I didn't notice), but considering
how long incomplete and faulty international keymaps used to float around
before, I consider it still an issue.
OTOH, I am not sure that even the existing ADB keymaps have a 100% correct
layout (I am mostly using my own ones), so if that work is to be done
anyway, it would surely make most sense to do it for the Linux keycodes
right away.

Cheers,
							Derek