Re: devfs support in ofpath: criteria for patches

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 04:03:04PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 12:22:03PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> > I'm not quite happy about how the translation for SCSI went, but that wasn't
> > something I could fix (since unlike IDE, /dev/sdb could be anywhere.)
>
> just a thought on this, you should be able to just assign scsi devices
> to sdX nodes dynamically the same way as the kernel no?  AFAICT the
> kernel allocates them in order of detection and in order of scsi ID.
> it should be easy enough to replicate this.
>
> as far as ofpath goes it pretty much assumes that /dev/sda will be the
> first Direct-Access device on the scsi chain.  read the scsiinfo()
> function for more info.

I was just doing that.  Does the following make sense to you?
>From say: /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1
We know what host bus target and lun are, so we can try and parse
/proc/scsi/scsi down to a list of ^Host lines for scsi disks.  Then we'd
just need to find the right line..  Hmm

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/