Re: New ofpath and yabootconfig: Added devfs support, PLEASE TEST

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 04:44:35PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 05:10:52PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> > I would too.  I just couldn't think of any way to do that.
>
> what about grabbing the ids and host numbers out, and sorting the
> devices out?  im not quite sure how do to that... some substitution
> and a for loop maybe.  getting the logic right would be tricky.

Er, hmm.  It might be possible to do it this way.  It looks like
most of the logic is there.  I'll play around with this sometime
soonish.

> > happy to change /dev/.../disc into something too.  I did it this was so you
> > can still do ofpath /dev/ide/.../partX and get back an alias.
>
> ah ok good.  ofpath should work both ways, as in ofpath /dev/sda gets
> you the device without partition number and ofpath /dev/sda2 gives you
> path with the partition number.  same for devfs should be. ofpath
> /dev/crap/part2 should be == ofpath /dev/sda2 and ofpath
> /dev/crap/disc should be == ofpath /dev/sda.

That's what it should do now.

> > I get the sneaking suspicion that if we have devfs but _not_ the new
> > devfs-style names, we need to know and treat it like a normal system.
>
> ckdevfs should already handle that no?  if you have the standard
> shotname links in /dev and hand ofpath /dev/sda ckdevfs will think we
> are not on devfs and things will work fine.  ofpath has always worked
> that way.

It quite probably should, yes.

> yabootconfig is where it gets wierd because even if you try and hide
> devfs names it finds one with the df trick to find the kernel device.

Right.  But this isn't so much of a problem.  In fact, unless we're
trying to do a chroot, we should always rely on df, shouldn't we?

> updated ofpath and yabootconfig are posted

It works this time, yay. :)

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/