Re: Power Management et. al.

On Wednesday 18 April 2001 23:54, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> > sleep)
> > ### yeah it is
> > #    $logger -p daemon.error -t pwrctl "$0: sleep function not supported
> > yet" sync
> >      sync
> >      sync
>
> Are these necessary?

dunno, but doing a sync seems a good thing to do before going to sleep (I'll
sync myself soon too :)).

> I have this in a startup script to get the middle button on F11 and the
> right one on F12 :
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button_emulation
> echo 87 > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button2_keycode
> echo 88 > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button3_keycode

Oh, that's pretty straight forward. Where can I get a description of those
numbers matching the keys on my keyboard?

> Still, I suggest using a mouse. The trackpad sucks.

Hmm, actually I'm a fan of trackpoints. They're great. I learned typing on an
old-style typewriter so I type 10 fingers and on IBM laptops, a trackpoint is
always less than an inch away.
Still, the trackpad is okay. I've seen worse ones. True, a mouse is better,
but only if you don't carry your Powerbook around like I do sometimes.

> > I've followed the discussions about sound a little bit. XMMS works fine
> > for me in the patched version that I downloaded from Mike Daenzer. I can
> > play mp3s fine under a normal user account (no clicks and pops). But,
> > just as it was posted here before, the volume control doesn't work.
>
> You have to enable 'Volume controls Master not PCM' in the Mixer tab of the
> output plugin preferences.

Ah, great! Works, although it only regulates the "Volume" volume, thus the
volume on line-out, not the "Speaker" volume for the built-in speakers.

Anyways, another question about multimedia: Has anyone ever tried to watch
DVDs under Linux/PPC? I fetched xine the other day (including Captain_CSS)
and with a few changes to the Makefile I got it to compile. I saw that it can
use multimedia codecs in Windows libraries through Wine libraries, something
that will fail to build under other platforms. But the rest should work. I
don't get it to run though. It complains about a malformed media resource
locator (error 255) when I start it, although I just want it to play a plain
mpeg movie, not even a DVD. Maybe somebody has experience with it?

> > I also installed the Audio CD Reader plugin v0.11b. But this one seems to
> > be broken, it produces noise. Is there any bugfix available?
>
> It's probably an endianness bug, maybe you can figure it out and fix it? :)

You kidding? I don't even know the real difference between big and little
endian and what this means for programming. And secondly, I'm a lousy C
programmer.
Well, okay, I could give it a shot and at least have a look at it.
Only if you help me and explain some of the things to me though :)

> > A final question: how come that MOL (Mac On Linux) is not available as a
> > debian package or am I just blind? Where can I get then?
>
> You can alienate an RPM or try to build it yourself (seems to be tricky).

But where can I get it though? Haven't found it yet.

Thanks,

Phil.

--
    Philipp von Weitershausen