Re: Power Management et. al.

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> I installed woody on my Pismo just a week ago. I'm running a recentish benh
> kernel (2.4.3pre1) with PMU / Power Management support.
> pmud is also working nicely after I made a few changes to /etc/power/pwctrl:
>
> sleep)
> ### yeah it is
> #    $logger -p daemon.error -t pwrctl "$0: sleep function not supported yet"
>      sync
>      sync
>      sync

Are these necessary?

>      fbset 0

This is a bug, should be fblevel 0 but I don't think it's necessary.

In fact, my sleep function is empty and it seems to work.

> Another thing that is becoming a real pain in the neck is the one and only
> mouse button. Hey, I admit it, I used to be a PC user and I'm happy now but
> I find a context menu can be real nice sometimes :). Is there a way to
> configure the X server to emulate a 2nd and 3rd mouse button by pressing
> some extra keys like cmd or ctrl, for example?

No. Fortunately, the kernel can emulate mouse buttons with keys. :)

I have this in a startup script to get the middle button on F11 and the right
one on F12 :

echo 1 > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button_emulation
echo 87 > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button2_keycode
echo 88 > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button3_keycode

Still, I suggest using a mouse. The trackpad sucks.

> I've followed the discussions about sound a little bit. XMMS works fine for
> me in the patched version that I downloaded from Mike Daenzer. I can play
> mp3s fine under a normal user account (no clicks and pops). But, just as it
> was posted here before, the volume control doesn't work.

You have to enable 'Volume controls Master not PCM' in the Mixer tab of the
output plugin preferences.

> I also installed the Audio CD Reader plugin v0.11b. But this one seems to be
> broken, it produces noise. Is there any bugfix available?

It's probably an endianness bug, maybe you can figure it out and fix it? :)

> A final question: how come that MOL (Mac On Linux) is not available as a
> debian package or am I just blind? Where can I get then?

You can alienate an RPM or try to build it yourself (seems to be tricky).