Re: Power Management et. al.

(Sorry for the late followup)

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> > Still, I suggest using a mouse. The trackpad sucks.
>
> Hmm, actually I'm a fan of trackpoints. They're great. I learned typing on
> an old-style typewriter so I type 10 fingers and on IBM laptops, a
> trackpoint is always less than an inch away.

I'd certainly also prefer a trackpoint.

> Still, the trackpad is okay. I've seen worse ones.

Sure.

> True, a mouse is better, but only if you don't carry your Powerbook around
> like I do sometimes.

So do I, but I have a Logitech mini wheel mouse which I can carry with me.

> > > I've followed the discussions about sound a little bit. XMMS works fine
> > > for me in the patched version that I downloaded from Mike Daenzer. I can
> > > play mp3s fine under a normal user account (no clicks and pops). But,
> > > just as it was posted here before, the volume control doesn't work.
> >
> > You have to enable 'Volume controls Master not PCM' in the Mixer tab of
> > the output plugin preferences.
>
> Ah, great! Works, although it only regulates the "Volume" volume, thus the
> volume on line-out, not the "Speaker" volume for the built-in speakers.

Yes, use a full-blown mixer like gmix to get full control.

> > > I also installed the Audio CD Reader plugin v0.11b. But this one seems
> > > to be broken, it produces noise. Is there any bugfix available?
> >
> > It's probably an endianness bug, maybe you can figure it out and fix it?
> > :)
>
> You kidding? I don't even know the real difference between big and little
> endian and what this means for programming. And secondly, I'm a lousy C
> programmer.

Most endianness bugs are rather easy to fix.

Unfortunately I'm bad at explaining things so I refer to the Hacker Jargon:

http://tuxedo.org/jargon/html/entry/big-endian.html

Good luck,