Re: Booting to floppy

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 03:37:21PM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> So what if there were some company with a commercial interest in writing a
> high-quality installer for Debian?  Then they'd hire people to put in lots of
> time to make it nice and friendly, like letting people easily reconfigure the
> network after apt fails.  And if they were *real* nice about it, they'd make
> it free so we could use it too...

 That's how software should work, IMHO.  You pay people to create Free
software that does something you need to get done.  Then you can use it, and
so can everyone else.  I think this provides a model for writing Free software
for profit, without having to try to sell something.  You get payed for
writing it in the first place.

 This would reduce stupid duplication of labour, because you're not going to
get hired to write yet another email client that has the same features as
all the other ones...  If someone just wanted one that looked different, you
could base it on the old one, instead of starting from scratch.

 Free software is so good :)

 I personally would chip in 100 $ toward paying for a decent web browser.
(konqueror is pretty, but I haven't been using it for long, so I don't know
how it is.  I wish I had something like konqueror, but without using so much
RAM, what with it's kdeinit processes as well as all the RAM it uses itself.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y