potato on PB G3

Hi there,

I recently bought a second-hand PB G3 Pismo, my first Mac after many, many
PCs.
Now I want to install Debian GNU/Linux, so I sucked the 3 official ISOs,
burned them, repartitioned the drive with the tool that comes with MacOS 9. Then
I rebooted while pressing "C" to start of the binary-1 CD.
After a few strange problems while booting the kernel, I finally got to do
the rest of the partitioning with this fdisk-like program and initialized the
partitions. I was a little surprised how many strange partitions the hard
drive had before the MacOS partition, which is hda9. hda10,11,12 are now my
Linux ones (boot, root, swap).

I learned from HOW-TOs that yaboot (lilo-like tool for powerpc?!?)
preferably wants a small ext2 partition for /boot like you do sometimes on ix86
platforms as well. I did that. Then it wanted to copy the base system but after
having done that, it wanted to it again, and again, and again. Then I selected
the next step from the menu manually - Installing "QUIK". What is that?
Whatever it is - it failed with a message that says something like "QUIK is not for
PowerPCs".

For now, I am completely lost. Here's what I like to have:
- MacOS 9 (X maybe later) on one partition
- Debian GNU/Linux (potato for now, woody to follow) on one partition (/boot
can be extra if needed) and a swap partition.

Can somebody please point me at a reasonable good tutorial/HOW-TO.
http://www.powermaclinux.org is nice, but doesn't take you from the beginning till the
end. If somebody would be so kind and explain it to me himself (doesn't have
to be in this mailinglist for bandwidth's sake), it would be even better!

Thank you so much,

Phil.

--
     Philipp von Weitershausen