Re: potato on PB G3

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

} I learned from HOW-TOs that yaboot (lilo-like tool for powerpc?!?)
} preferably wants a small ext2 partition for /boot like you do
} sometimes on ix86 platforms as well.

Actually, for booting, it is not a small ext2 partition.  It is an
HFS partition, and when you are using pdisk to create it, you have to
create it with type "Apple_Bootstrap".

} I did that. Then it wanted to copy the base system but after having
} done that, it wanted to it again, and again, and again. Then I
} selected the next step from the menu manually - Installing "QUIK".
} What is that? Whatever it is - it failed with a message that says
} something like "QUIK is not for PowerPCs".

Quik is an OF bootloader for old world machines.  I am not sure if it
works on the new world machines.

} Can somebody please point me at a reasonable good tutorial/HOW-TO.
} http://www.powermaclinux.org is nice, but doesn't take you from the
} beginning till the end.

Take a look at:

	http://linuxppc.org/hardware/blueg3/articles/yaboot.php3

None of the information there is LinuxPPC specific, except booting and
drive parititioning.  But I was able to use those pages (and the yaboot
FAQ linked to on that page) to get Potato installed on my Lombard just
a few days ago.

The other quirk I found with the debian installer was that it did not
like you skipping a step or making an error in a given step. I was able
to get around the step I wanted to skip, but it was in a rather strange
and non-systematic way.  I basically went through the options till it
let me continue ...

cheers
vinai