Re: new installation

Andrew Sharp wrote:

> Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> >
> > Hmm...  here's something which may work.  Is there a .coff kernel image on the
> > CD, e.g. vmlinux-2.2.18pre21.coff?  If so, try copying that onto an
> > HFS-formatted blank floppy.  Then when you boot, hold down something like
> > command-option-O-F to boot into OF.
> >
> > Oh wait, before you reboot, look for the Boot Variables MacOS utility, so you
> > can disable auto-boot and set the input device to the keyboard and output to
> > screen (see my last post on the values of these vars for 4400/clones).  Then
> > when you reboot, you should not need command-option-O-F to get you into OF.
> >
> > So, assuming you can get to OF, type:
> >
> > boot fd:vmlinux-2.2.18pre21.coff video=atyfb:vmode:12
> If you get this far, you should just be able to use the regular boot
> floppy, no?
> boot fd: video=atyfb:vmode:12

Cool.  And Bruno, if this doesn't work, just try a lower number.

> The next question is how you boot after installation.  On these
> starmax machines, is the OF working better than apple's on old world
> powermacs?

OF works quite well on my StarMax.  That's why I'm thinking it will work on Bruno's
4400, since the StarMax is a 4400 clone.

> If so, quik is definitely a possibility.  The only hard
> thing about quik it is that the OF on apple oldworld macs is so
> flaky that it can't be counted on to do the same thing twice in a
> row, like booting from a hard disk.

I haven't had this problem.  When it starts up, I get the black-on-white OF screen,
and I type "boot"  with optional parameters or my wife types "bye" to enter MacOS.
Works every time.  Must be a charmed oldworld.

Well, almost works, in a cold restart there's always an IDE-related kernel panic the
first time, then I hit reset and the second time it always boots fine.  I've been
planning to investigate further for some time...  Meanwhile, my wife laughs at how
I have to type "boot" three times: once to get the zip to spin up, again gives the
kernel panic, the third time works. :-)

> An
> extra ide disk isn't too expensive if you get an old one.  You don't
> have to make it a slave, instead you can make the CDROM a slave,
> no?

Right, then you can't access the CDROM from MacOS.  Something has to give.

> Even if it was a slave, BootX will be able to see it, so all
> you would need to do is specify the root file system in the bootx
> parameters.  I think there is a special box just for the root file
> system spec.

Yup.  BootX works fine with my IDE slave installation, I think I mentioned this.
offb even lets me use the unsupported MacPicasso 540 card!  (clgenfb doesn't seem to
work with this GD5480.)

Part of the point of seeing if Bruno can use quik is so he doesn't have to buy the
extra IDE just for a firewall.  And to have a completely free machine, etc., though
it doesn't sound like that's at the top of his priority list.

-Adam P.