Re: new installation

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 12:15:38PM -0300, Peter Cordes wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 11:55:06AM +0200, Bruno Waes wrote:
> > i really need to install linux on the box (the macos 7.5.3 that is on there
> > now can go) i have to be able to reboot the box remotely so it has to boot
> > directly into linux, how can i do this on this powerpc ? i read about OF
> > (and i think it is a bit like openboot on sparc) but how do i access it and
> > where can i find a list of commands ?
>
>  I've got my system booting to Linux with BootX.  I've got the bootx
> extension in my macos system folder, and I saved the default bootx settings
> with my Linux kernel selected.  To completely get rid of macos, I guess you
> have to install quik.  I haven't got it working yet.

I also am using BootX, and would like to point out that just to reboot
remotely, BootX is fine, even though it goes through macos, since it can be
configured to go into linux directly.

On an older machine, like you have, it may just be easier to go with BootX
and not have to worry about OF.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/