Re: X dies while I'm not looking...

Greetings...

"David J. Roundy" wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is powerpc-specific, or not, but I have a somewhat
> annoying issue where X will die if I stop using it for a while (e.g. leave
> the room or work on a virtual terminal).  It does this whether I am just
> sitting in kdm or if I'm logged in under X, and seems to happen every ten
> minutes if I'm not using X.  It has been happening for weeks, but only
> recently did it happen while I was logged in on X, since usually I don't
> stay on X if I'm not using it.
>
> I am running unstable, and looked at the logs to get an idea as to what is
> happening, but failed.
>
> Here is the top of my
>
> # more XFree86.0.log
> XFree86 Version 4.0.2 / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6400)
> Release Date: 18 December 2000
>         If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
>         newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
>         reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
> Operating System: Linux 2.2.18pre21 ppc [ELF]
> Module Loader present
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sun Apr  8 08:45:28 2001
>
> Here is what syslog showed when it happened:
>
> Apr  8 08:45:28 ludwig kdm[221]: Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly: 1536
>
> This is bizarre, and quite annoying.  I have no idea what could be causing
> this.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
> --
Oh good, it isn't only me. ;-/
When the screensaver activates X server dies.
To kill it try:
% xset s activate
To avoid it getting killed:
% xset s noblank

Does anyone else have to plug and unplug the mouse to make the mouse buttons work
after booting too?

							Miguel

C. Miguel Marques, York University, Computing & Network Services
e-mail: miguel@yorku.ca, voice: (416)736-2100x22684, fax: (416)736-5830