Re: Unable to create/save/open/delete files as root

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 04:22:06PM +0100, Gordon Dykes wrote:

> >sounds like yet another victom of the broken paulus kernel .config
> >
> >reconfigure your 2.4 kernel and under Filesystems turn  DEVFS *OFF*
> >all of it every devfs option turn it off, not module, off.
> >
> >then install that kernel and you will be fine.
> >
> >--
> >Ethan Benson
> >http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/
> >ttp://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/
>
> I can try that but I cant do anything that involves editing files.
> Using a different kernel makes no difference.
> The problem is not having any write access to the partition.

 Try booting a kernel other than the one you compiled with devfs support.
 Or, mount / -o remount,rw.  (make sure you mount / -o remount,ro before
rebooting, if you used init=/bin/bash.  If you don't, then nothing will and
you'll need to fsck.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y