Re: Unable to create/save/open/delete files as root

Remounting the partition using "mount / -o remount,rw" has allowed me to work on files again. Changing the kernel makde no difference.

How do I get the drive correctly mounted during init as almost all
the scrips are failing.  Editing fstab didnt help this.

Your time is much appreciated.  Thanks

At 12:58 pm -0400 26/3/01, Peter Cordes wrote:
On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 04:22:06PM +0100, Gordon Dykes wrote:

 >sounds like yet another victom of the broken paulus kernel .config
 > >
 > >reconfigure your 2.4 kernel and under Filesystems turn  DEVFS *OFF*
 >all of it every devfs option turn it off, not module, off.
 >
 >then install that kernel and you will be fine.
 >
 >--
 >Ethan Benson
 >http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/
 >ttp://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/

 I can try that but I cant do anything that involves editing files.
 Using a different kernel makes no difference.
 The problem is not having any write access to the partition.

 Try booting a kernel other than the one you compiled with devfs support.
 Or, mount / -o remount,rw.  (make sure you mount / -o remount,ro before
rebooting, if you used init=/bin/bash.  If you don't, then nothing will and
you'll need to fsck.)

--
For evil to triumph it is only necessary for good men to buy Microsoft.