Re: Date and Upsteam-URL fields

Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> writes:

> * Adeodato Simó (dato@net.com.org.es) [060610 03:11]:
>> * Margarita Manterola [Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:35:54 -0300]:
>>
>> > So, in any case, I'd encourage you to patch dpkg to handle a new
>> > "Homepage" field, and submit the patch.  Once this is being used by a
>> > big number of packages, you might bring this up again.
>>
>> > I'd really like to have the Homepage field in dpkg, although I doubt
>> > it would enter policy.
>>
>> You can start without patching dpkg:
>>
>>   Package: foo
>>   XB-Homepage: http://www.foo.org
>>
>> That will make a Homepage field end in the binary control information,
>> and thus in the Packages file.
>
> Actually, I think the URL information should be part of the source
> package part inside of debian/control. At least for packages.d.o (and
> similar services), the information as part of debian/control is already
> enough, as there could be backend databases.  For displaying of binary
> packages, this information may need to put into the binary packages
> themself (or even the Packages-file). This could however be seen as
> second step.
>

> Cheers,
> Andi

The common way to put the homepage into a package and into Packages is
to add it to the long description. e.g.:

Package: hexedit
Section: editors
Installed-Size: 108
Maintainer: Alexander Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1.2.12-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1), libncurses5 (>= 5.4-5)
Filename: pool/main/h/hexedit/hexedit_1.2.12-2_amd64.deb
Size: 26616
MD5sum: 6d92158c1aa355aa42b90f4d584ccfbc
 hexedit shows a file both in ASCII and in hexadecimal.
 The file can be a device as the file is not whole read.
 You can modify the file and search through it.
 You have also copy&paste and save to file functions.
 Truncating or appending to the file.
 Modifications are shown in bold.
 .
  Homepage: http://www.chez.com/prigaux/hexedit.html
Tag: interface::text-mode, role::sw:utility, uitoolkit::ncurses, use::editing, works-with::file

grep-dctrl -F Description Homepage dists/sid/main/binary-amd64/Packages -n -s Package | wc
   2138    2138   27028

MfG
        Goswin