Re: Date and Upsteam-URL fields

Hi!

On 6/8/06, Kai Hendry <hendry@iki.fi> wrote:
On 2006-06-08T17:49-0700 Chris Waters wrote:
> Until dpkg supports it, there's little point in debating it on -policy.
So that's how it works? First dpkg implements the feature, then we can
think about making it policy?

Actually, yes.  That's how it works.  Most things are declared
"policy" when packages are already following it and it has been proved
that it's a good idea to do it that way.

If things were declared "policy" whenever the Policy Maintainers felt
like it, almost all the packages could suddenly have a really big
number of RC bugs, due to failure to previously knowing the new
policy.

The devel-reference hack isn't working.
Try:
egrep URL /var/lib/dpkg/available
egrep -i Homepage /var/lib/dpkg/available
egrep Website /var/lib/dpkg/available

Do you really want me to file bugs?

You can file bugs if you want, but just file them "wishlist", since
the Dev-Ref is just a reference, not policy.  Not following the
Dev-Ref is not an important bug, and in this case, it's not even
minor.

We owe this to upstream too. I think upstream would love the link backs
to their sites.

Uhm, they might like it.  But we don't "owe" them the links. The links
should be present in the copyright file, the rest is just for our own
use.

So, in any case, I'd encourage you to patch dpkg to handle a new
"Homepage" field, and submit the patch.  Once this is being used by a
big number of packages, you might bring this up again.

I'd really like to have the Homepage field in dpkg, although I doubt
it would enter policy.

--
Besos,
Marga