Re: Date and Upsteam-URL fields

* Adeodato Simó (dato@net.com.org.es) [060610 03:11]:
> * Margarita Manterola [Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:35:54 -0300]:
>
> > So, in any case, I'd encourage you to patch dpkg to handle a new
> > "Homepage" field, and submit the patch.  Once this is being used by a
> > big number of packages, you might bring this up again.
>
> > I'd really like to have the Homepage field in dpkg, although I doubt
> > it would enter policy.
>
> You can start without patching dpkg:
>
>   Package: foo
>   XB-Homepage: http://www.foo.org
>
> That will make a Homepage field end in the binary control information,
> and thus in the Packages file.

Actually, I think the URL information should be part of the source
package part inside of debian/control. At least for packages.d.o (and
similar services), the information as part of debian/control is already
enough, as there could be backend databases.  For displaying of binary
packages, this information may need to put into the binary packages
themself (or even the Packages-file). This could however be seen as
second step.

Cheers,
Andi
--