Re: Date and Upsteam-URL fields

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 05:19:00PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Chris Waters <xtifr@debian.org> writes:

> > for making it a special field, rather than part of the package
> > description, has ever been put forth.  The homepage is a matter of
> > interest to humans, not computers.
>
> Except that packages.debian.org wants it.  As soon as any reasonably
> common automated process wants that field, having it in the long
> description is broken.

Whatever--packages.d.o already uses it, broken or not.  This is an old
flame war, and I'm not particularly interested in re-hashing it,
especially since I have no personal preference one way or the other.
But before it can be added to policy, it needs to be added to dpkg, so
this is something that should be taken up with the dpkg maintainers.

Until dpkg supports it, there's little point in debating it on -policy.

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single