Re: Date and Upsteam-URL fields

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 10:51:52AM +0900, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On 2006-06-08T17:49-0700 Chris Waters wrote:
> > Until dpkg supports it, there's little point in debating it on -policy.

> So that's how it works? First dpkg implements the feature, then we can
> think about making it policy?

Basically, yes.  There would be little point in declaring it policy
when it is currently impossible for anyone to follow such a policy.  :)

> The devel-reference hack isn't working.

Dev-Ref is intended to describe best practices.  Which is different
from required practices.  Since many people (including me) do
generally follow the suggestions in Dev-Ref, I would say that it is
working fairly well, if not perfectly.

> Do you really want me to file bugs?

Within reason!  Mass bug filings, especially for wishlist requests,
are generally strongly frowned upon.  But if there are particular
packages for which you think a Homepage link would be especially
useful or desirable, then yes, a wishlist bug report would be
perfectly reasonable and appropriate.

Also keep in mind that some people may prefer to wait till changes are
made to dpkg, rather than modifying their package now, and modifying
it again later.  Especially for such a low-priority issue.

You have to understand, this is a large project with hundreds of
people and thousands of packages and lots of other priorities.  Not to
mention more than a few egos--don't expect to snap your fingers and
have everyone kowtow to your whims! :) As I said, this topic has been
the basis of flamewars before, so you may want to tread carefully.

> We owe this to upstream too. I think upstream would love the link backs
> to their sites.

Those that have home pages may--many packages still get by with just
mailiing lists and ftp sites, and prefer it that way.

And even those that have home pages may not want or need all the extra
traffic.  Bandwidth can be expensive.  That is another reason why this
should be left to the discretion of the package maintainer, who
presumably knows their upstream's desires in this matter.

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single