Re: RFD: Essential packages, /, and /usr

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 07:58:21AM -0400, Clint Adams wrote:
> > Notice "or some other nice English word"... when the admin puts binaries in
> > a $PATH, they need to be aware of the consequences. If they put something in
> > a place where it can replace a Debian binary, how do we know it's
>
> Why would someone, being told that '/usr/local is for the administrator;
> Debian doesn't touch it' assume that package scripts will go around
> running things in /usr/local?

Maybe said someone has read Policy section 10.1.2, "Site-specific programs" :)

[...]
     However, the package may create empty directories below `/usr/local'
     so that the system administrator knows where to place site-specific
     files.  These directories should be removed on package removal if they
     are empty.
[...]
     If you do create a directory in `/usr/local' for local additions to a
     package, you should ensure that settings in `/usr/local' take
     precedence over the equivalents in `/usr'.
[...]

This is the general policy for /usr/local, and I see no reason why it
shouldn't apply to /usr/local/bin as well.

Richard Braakman