Re: RFD: Essential packages, /, and /usr

>>"Josip" == Josip Rodin <joy@gkvk.hr> writes:

 Josip> Notice "or some other nice English word"... when the admin
 Josip> puts binaries in a $PATH, they need to be aware of the
 Josip> consequences. If they put something in a place where it can
 Josip> replace a Debian binary, how do we know it's intentional or
 Josip> not? If we assume it's unintentional, our scripts need to
 Josip> hardcode paths, which makes moving stuff tedious. If we assume
 Josip> it's intentional, we risk admins having a taste of their own
 Josip> medicine. I'd pick the former.

	You reversed the order from the sentence:
  "how do we know it's intentional or not?"
        and the rest of the explanation, so it is hard to know which
 one option you prefer (at least, I am fairly unclear).

	I, for one, prefer not to think of my admin as incompetent
 bozos, and I would prefer to give them the benefit of doubt, and
 assume they know the situation better than a script does.

	I prefer to let the sysadmin be empowered to modify what
 happens on their machine the traditional UNIX way, by placing
 binaries in paths.

	manoj
--
 SHOP OR DIE, people of Earth! [offer void where prohibited]
 Capitalists from outer space, from Justice League Int'l comics