Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

>>"Arthur" == Arthur Korn <arthur@korn.ch> writes:

 Arthur> Hi
 Arthur> Manoj Srivastava schrieb:
 >> I repeat: we only have non-US since master lives in US, and we
 >> must obey US laws for master while master is here. How up are
 >> you on the laws of Bhutan, if I may ask?

 Arthur> Why is master in such a restrictive country as the US anyway?

	The logical reasons are, amongs others:
 o) Master should be in in proximity of the most developers
 o) There should be a sponsor that can provide a long time home for
    Debian by donating bandwidth

 Arthur> As long as there are any contries where everything in Debian can
 Arthur> be exported from, master should be there. Keep it simple, stupid.

	A little knowledge is dangerous. There is more to collocation
 than export laws; and the US, despite having silly export laws, does
 protect a lot of things under the free speech rights.

 >> The US is not getting preferential treatment here, and we are
 >> not just dispensing legal advice for the fun of it.

 Arthur> Shure the US is getting preferential treatment. Would you ever
 Arthur> bother to set up master in, say, Iran and have to maintain a
 Arthur> second master even though everything could be put onto the
 Arthur> second master in the first place?

	You are
 a) being silly
 b) potentially displaying feeling of inferiroity of the nation you
    live in
 c) not looking at the hard facts of developer density, collocation
    costs, and hardware/bandwidth sponsorship,
 d) inertia

	manoj
--
 Norbert Weiner was the subject of many dotty professor stories.
 Weiner was, in fact, very absent minded.  The following story is told
 about him: when they moved from Cambridge to Newton his wife, knowing
 that he would be absolutely useless on the move, packed him off to
 MIT while she directed the move.  Since she was certain that he would
 forget that they had moved and where they had moved to, she wrote
 down the new address on a piece of paper, and gave it to him.
 Naturally, in the course of the day, an insight occurred to him.  He
 reached in his pocket, found a piece of paper on which he furiously
 scribbled some notes, thought it over, decided there was a fallacy in
 his idea, and threw the piece of paper away.  At the end of the day
 he went home (to the old address in Cambridge, of course).  When he
 got there he realized that they had moved, that he had no idea where
 they had moved to, and that the piece of paper with the address was
 long gone.  Fortunately inspiration struck.  There was a young girl
 on the street and he conceived the idea of asking her where he had
 moved to, saying, "Excuse me, perhaps you know me.  I'm Norbert
 Weiner and we've just moved.  Would you know where we've moved to?"
 To which the young girl replied, "Yes, Daddy, Mommy thought you would
 forget." The capper to the story is that I asked his daughter (the
 girl in the story) about the truth of the story, many years later.
 She said that it wasn't quite true -- that he never forgot who his
 children were!  The rest of it, however, was pretty close to what
 actually happened... Richard Harter