Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

>>"Jakob" == Jakob Bøhm <jbj@image.dk> writes:

 Jakob> The main archive is mirrored and copied around the globe both
 Jakob> inside and outside SPI.   Including anything which it would
 Jakob> be illegal to post or copy anywhere in the world could get
 Jakob> those mirrors and users in trouble.

	Aside from being silly, and holding ourselves hostage to any
 bunch of lawmakers anywhere in the world, this is impractical. Care
 to tell me if make is free under all the laws of Estonia? What about
 Kazhakstan? Did you know that the comments in the source code of the
 kernel itself make it illegal to put on a web site in at least 3
 legal jurisdictions I am aware of?

	Debian is inclusive; and things that can't be put on master
 are put on the non-{the country master lives in} servers. People in
 jurisdiction where some software is illegal, can always craft rsync
 rules to do partial mirrors.

	I still object to this on the grounds of freedom of
 expression. if not just mere impracticality: We can't afford to bring
 Debian down to the most common denominator (even given that we could
 even begin to discover what that is -- I know that it can't include
 the Linux kernel) at the mercy of all parochial laws out there.

	Oh, in case you are wondering, I shall formally object to any
 such scheme to pull any more software off master that we are not
 constrained to do because of silly parochial laws of the locale master
 is hosted in.

	manoj
--
 It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to
 students that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential