Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         This is wrong. If there is no problem exporting it from the
>  US, it shall be put on master proper (we don't care what the laws in
>  iran say, for example, when it comes to putting software on the sites
>  in the US).
>
>         People, I know this apparent bias towards the US is galling,
>  but before you go half cocked trying to restore the balance. think.
>
>         manoj
> --

Please reread my post from Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:28:51 +0100.

To summarize myself:

The main archive is mirrored and copied around the globe both
inside and outside SPI.   Including anything which it would
be illegal to post or copy anywhere in the world could get
those mirrors and users in trouble.

For ultra restrictive countries it may be reasonable to simply
take down all Debian mirrors in those countries and warn CD
people not to ship cds there, but for isolated issues like
encryption it is more reasonable to place such packages in
a special non-mirrored area of the archive, such as non-us or
non-world if you prefer a different name.

IANAL

Jakob

--
This message is hastily written, please ignore any unpleasant
wordings,