Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

This is a slightly updated changed to reflect comments from people.
Debian developers can second this proposal for inclusion in the
policy text.

Proposal is to change section 2.1.5 of the Debian policy to say:

   Non-free programs with cryptographic program code need to be stored
   on the "non-us" server because of export restrictions of the U.S.

   Programs which use patented algorithms that have a restrictied
   license also need to be stored on "non-us", since that is located
   in a country where it is not allowed to patent algorithms.

   A package depends on another package which is distributed via the
   non-us server has to be stored on the non-us server as well.

If this proposal gets accept it means Debian also shoud:
* notify the US government that we have a FTP site that distributes
  crypto software.
* add a legal welcome message to our FTP site that informs people
  about the regulations regarding crypto software. This also means
  we will not be consciously exporting crypto to the 7 blacklisted
  countries

More information on the US crypto regulations can be found at
http://www.bxa.doc.gov/Encryption/Default.htm

Wichert.

 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| wichert@cistron.nl                  http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |