Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 07:09:42AM -0500, Brian Mays wrote:
> I'd say that the user should look here for a copy of the upstream
> source.  It certainly will have a copy of the license.  Of course, the
> user can always get a copy of the source from us.
Hmmm it is said at the GPL license that we *must* do a written offer
to the one we distribute to have the source codes and the license
comes together... would it be the case of writing this offer in every
GPLed packages's README.Debian?? So we would write:

This package is GPL you must get this license at www.gnu....
or at our site ....

Because saying: "on Debian systems it can be found in..." is
discriminating other dists users who may not have that directory
or that license in it... thus making it a violation of the GPL.
I still think that we should package GPL (and all other licensing
issues) in the binary package (I can get a package from a friend...
then... if I do not have Internet acces I'll not be able to see
the license right?) but not install it... conffile would be an
ally as proposed by someone I can't remeber who...

I think that "complete work" stands for every work that can be used
in any installed system without missing parts... just like fileutils
and debhelper. Debian distribution is for me an selection of
complete works that are all packaged together.

I think that this discussion about "What GPL says..." is not taking
us to anywhere... let's ask the one who wrote the license then!?
We should ask him to aprove/disaprove the many suggestions we have
had here.

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva - kov