Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:

> Probably, but it's also harmless.

Hmm ... where do you draw the line?

> However, Debian is in a different position, and the problem is that
> people can and do pull .debs off the Debian site and install them on
> other distros.  The license really does require that we give them a
> copy of the GPL, and that's a reasonable requirement.

We do give them a copy of the GPL.  Its up to them to take it.  If you
think that it is difficult to find this license, then place it in a file
at the top of our archive.  Then it will be in a conspicuous place on
our ftp site and CDs.

> Those people don't even have any good way to find out where the
> license *is* if they don't already know about it.  This is the kind of
> problem that the current situation has.

Hmm ... lets take a look.  From my own cpio package,
/usr/share/doc/cpio/copyright says:

: This is the Debian GNU/Linux prepackaged version of GNU cpio
: (including mt).
:
: This package was put together by Ian Murdock <imurdock@debian.org>,
: from sources obtained from:
:  prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu

I'd say that the user should look here for a copy of the upstream
source.  It certainly will have a copy of the license.  Of course, the
user can always get a copy of the source from us.

: This package has been modified by Brian Mays <brian@debian.org>.
: Modifications of cpio package for Debian GNU/Linux Copyright (C) 1996-99
: Brian Mays and are released under the GPL (on Debian systems see
: `/usr/doc/copyright/GPL').

Whoops!  Now we have a problem.  I'm in the habit of GPLing all of my
modifications when debianizing a package.  Do I now need to ship a copy
of the GPL with *ALL* of my packages?  Even the non-copy-lefted ones?

: Changes:
    [...]

: GNU cpio is Copyright (C) 1992, 1993, 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
:
:    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
:    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
:    the Free Software Foundation; version 2 dated June, 1991.
:
:    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
:    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
:    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
:    GNU General Public License for more details.
:
: On Debian GNU/Linux systems, the complete text of the GNU General
: Public License can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL'.

In my opinion, this is as good as a symbolic link to the GPL file, and
it takes less disk space.

Hard links, of course, present problems for unusual partitioning
schemes.

: rmt.c is Copyright (C) 1983 Regents of the University of California.
:
:    All rights reserved.
:
:    Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
:    provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
:    duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation,
:    advertising materials, and other materials related to such
:    distribution and use acknowledge that the software was developed
:    by the University of California, Berkeley.  The name of the
:    University may not be used to endorse or promote products derived
:    from this software without specific prior written permission.
:    THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
:    IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
:    WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Berkeley is nice that it doesn't require this kind of mess.

- Brian