Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

At 04:17 pm -0500 on November 29, 2000, Brian Mays wrote:

> The GPL says that we can distribute the binaries ...
>
> :  ... provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each
> :  copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep
> :  intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence
> :  of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy
                          ^^^^
> :  of this License along with the Program.
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> If here "you" refers to Debian, then we are not violating the GPL.  We
> distribute all of the packages, including "base", which contains the a
> copy of the GPL. We distribute the program AND we give our recipients
> a copy of the license.

Making the GPL available in a separate file that may or may not be
received by the recipient of the GPLed Program does not constitute
"giving" the GPL to the recipients of such a program "along with the
Program".  Is Debian giving the License along with the Program to
someone who runs wget http://http.us.debian.org/path/to/GPLed/deb on a
RedHat system?  I don't think so.