Re: [PROPOSAL] Origin and Bugs support

On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 11:08:06PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:

> Fuck what? If it's none of our business, then why are we worrying about it
> in the first place?

I have no bloody idea.  I have some guesses, but they're not very
flattering to the people who are doing all this worrying.

> It is our business when we start talking about policy and
> implementations that are based on what they want from our tools.

*I* believe that our business should be finding the technically best
solution, rather than worrying about ridiculous (and unpreventable)
issues like "bug hoarding".  We should find the solution that makes
the most sense for us and our friends for what we want to do.

Trying to prevent bug report hoarding is silly and futile.  It is not
even an issue, and trying to make it one is inane.  I'm not arguing
for a particular solution here so much as I am trying to make sure
that we pick a solution for the right reasons, instead of from
misplaced and useless paranoia.

Any attempt to prevent people from tracking bugs on their own strikes
me as violating the spirit, if not the letter, of the DFSG.  I'm here
because I believe that free software is a good thing, not because I
want some central committee to be in charge of all the software in the
world.