Re: [PROPOSAL] Origin and Bugs support

Previously Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> Yeah this isn't such a good idea. For instance I would tag some of my APT
> builds to be

Sigh. Here we go again.

> Origin: Debian
> Bugs-To: mailto:apt@packages.debian.org
>
> Which is clearly entirely reasonable and legitimate.

No, it's not. If you want to make a package special instead of making it
an integral part of Debian change the Origin tag.

> Perhaps some network query and cache should be defined - or at least a
> more dynamic means that does not require packages to be installed.

Lots of people don't use networks or apt. Any scheme that relies on
either of those is broken.

> The major reasons people objected to this before was because putting
> 'Bugs' information in the control file of every package really really
> sucks :P

Not really, that's just your personal opinion.

> This was brought up before too -- Debian packages probably should not be
> tagged at all. Otherwise derived distributions will have to go and
> unset/reset this which means a full dist recompile!

They can just change the /etc/dpkg/origins/debian file.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@cistron.nl                  http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |