Re: [PROPOSAL] Origin and Bugs support

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:59:40 +0000 (UTC),
wichert@cistron.nl (Wichert Akkerman) said:

    > packages? If a derived distro wants to get bugreports for a
    > modified package they have to change it anyway and don't
    > need to modify /etc/dpkg/origins/debian. If they don't then
    > the default setup is just fine.

I disagree. It doesn't seem right to use Debian volunteers to
handle bugs for a package in our commercial product, even if it
is the exact same package. Since we're being paid to do this,
*all* bugs should come to us first. If it's our fault, we fix it
and the Debian devloper never sees it. If it's something not our
fault, but we can fix it, the developer benefits from us (which
we want). If it's not something we can fix, we forward it over to
him.

This results in a better Debian, without burdening volunteer
developers with things that aren't their fault.

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@progeny.com
Software Developer