Re: [PROPOSAL] Origin and Bugs support

On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 07:39:13PM -0500, Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:

> If Debian decides that bug reports should go to Debian unless
> we've modified the package, that's what we'll do.

We have no control over it.  If evil-third-party Debian reseller
decides they want the bug reports, they hack the bug reporting tools
to override the fields in the packages, and viola, they hoard all
the bug-reports they want.

QED.

So, any attempts to prevent "hording" (or even "hoarding") by bad guys
are doomed to failure from the start.  On the other hand, some third
party resellers might have legitimate reasons for screening the bugs
before passing them on (i.e., they don't want their customers
subjected to horrendous flames from some of our less polite developers
(no Overfiends shall be mentioned by name)).  All that our attempts to
prevent the so-called hoarding shall accomplish is to make life harder
for the good guys, without stopping the bad guys.  Hardly seems worth
it to me.

I'm still not sure about the whole concept of "hoarding" bug reports.
At first glance, it seems like one of the dumbest things anyone has
suggested in quite a while (an opinion enhanced by the gratuitous
mispeling that certain people in this thread seem to insist on), but
perhaps I'm overlooking something.  In any case, since we can't
prevent it, I see no point in worrying about it.

Once again, I would like to propose that we focus on the *technical*
issues and leave the moot political issues behind.