Re: [RFC] Package build time config for installation directories.

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 04:23:18PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Ben Collins wrote:
> > Still, nothing says the FHS will never change, and change is very
> > difficult with everything doing their own thing. So my argument is still
> > that a central place describing these locations that the packages query,
> > is a better thing. This, in addition to my other reasons for this
> > proposal.
>
> Your idea is hardly a panacea. Look at two of the FHS changes we have
> been dealing with: /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc and /var/lib/games to
> /var/games. Even if packages had some trivial way to tell that these
> directories had changed, that is not good enough; a fair amount of
> code needs to be added to maintainer scripts to make the upgrade
> smooth.

That's arguable. The usr/doc -> usr/share/doc fiasco could have been
avoided if the patch I made for dpkg had come a few months earlier.
Nothing in the package scripts would have had to do anything.

I also don't recall saying it fixed this thing completely. Anyway, even
dh_installdocs had a fair amount of similar spirit to this fix for usr/doc,
considering package scripts simply called dh_installdocs instead
of hardcoding it. Wouldn't you say this simply takes it a step further
Joey? Granted dh_installdocs also added things for the symlink
requirement, but that was a shortcoming in dpkg (that was later fixed),
not a shortcoming in the solution that dh_installdocs provided.

Ben