Re: [RFC] Package build time config for installation directories.

> Ben, I don't really see the point of all of us spending time to support
> non-Debian systems. I don't have much interest in seeing dpkg take over
> the universe. The point of having standards such as the FHS is to avoid
> this kind of kludgery.

Please reread my original post. Two of the three cases involve actual Debian
ports (either present or future).

> And yes, I maintain packages where there would be a lot more effort to
> follow this proposal than just sourcing the file and changing a few
> configure commands.

So do I, but no where did I say this was going to be a "do or die"
proposal. Moving to this should be encouraged. Making it a requirement
that could get packages removed for RC bugs is obviously not acceptable.
Requiring developers to accept technically competent and reasonable patches
to enable this is something I think should be required (e.g. if someone
files a bug that correctly solves this issue, you either accept the patch,
or leave the bug open at normal severity).

Ben