Re: [RFC] Package build time config for installation directories.

On 06-Nov-00, 13:35 (CST), Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 10:58:30AM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> >
> > 1. "Non-FHS ports". This seems to me a contradiction in terms. Marcus
> > has weighed in with "but HURD *is* FHS", and I don't see why other ports
> > can't be as well, especially as HURD is the least unix like of the
> > listed OS's. If it can't be made FHS compliant, then perhaps it's not an
> > appropriate target for a Debian port. What's next, and NT "port"?
>
> Hurd is probably not the best example...so I retract it as one.

So what about the others? Why can't they be FHS compliant? If they can't,
why are people

a) attempting to port Debian to them?
b) expecting every other developer to accomodate their weird needs?

> > 3. "Third-party stuff". Don't care.
>
> Third-party != non-free OS, so I hope that isn't the basis for your
> opinion. Dpkg and Debian policy is a fairly powerful tool that I would
> hope extends well beyond just "us". If this benefits them, it is a plus,
> not a "ooops, oh well".

No, it's not that it's non-free, it's that I do not understand why I
and every other developer are being asked to modify our packages and
possibly the upstream source in order to support people who are not
using Debian systems. I don't see "support our packaging system on
arbitrary systems" anywhere in the project goals.

Yes, if someone outside the project benefits from the work we do, that's
great. But doing work to benefit those outside the project (and by
"project", I mean our users as well, of course, not just the developers)
rather sticks in my craw.

So yes, if this is necessary to support the various 64bit ports, then
great (even after your explanation, I'm not sure that it does, but I
don't know enough to argue, so I'll let others do it :-)). If not, then
pushing the benefits to non-Debian system users doesn't mean a whole lot.

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read