Re: [RFC] Package build time config for installation directories.

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 02:57:28PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Ben Collins wrote:
> > I did not know Debian was strictly an FHS project. When did this happen?
>
> Debian policy, section 3.3.1:
>
>      The location of all installed files and directories must comply with
>      the Linux File system Hierarchy Standard (FHS).

Interesting...I never knew we locked ourselves down in this way. Silly,
IMO, but too late to bitch now. Funny how we mandate "Linux File System
Hierarchy" for all Debian ports, Linux or not.

Still, nothing says the FHS will never change, and change is very
difficult with everything doing their own thing. So my argument is still
that a central place describing these locations that the packages query,
is a better thing. This, in addition to my other reasons for this
proposal.