Re: [RFC] Package build time config for installation directories.

On 06-Nov-00, 09:10 (CST), Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 03:26:56PM +0100, Nils Lohner wrote:
> > So I guess the system needs to support functionality that I can use
> > the .orig.tgz files (no debianization) because then I can just apt-get
> > source and build and have it work, meaning I can automize a dir with non-
> > standard stuff on solaris.  This would also make the system completely
> > non-debian dependent (i.e. people can use it on hp-ux for maintaining a GNU
> > tools tree in /opt by downloading, compiling and installing sources for
> > example) and allow for a lot of flexibility.
>
> But if you have apt available, why not use the debianization? :)

A much better question is that if he wants to use the .orig.tar.gz
files, and they can be built with a single line configure command, why
should I spend time and effort to support non-Debian systems, especially
non-free ones?

Ben, I don't really see the point of all of us spending time to support
non-Debian systems. I don't have much interest in seeing dpkg take over
the universe. The point of having standards such as the FHS is to avoid
this kind of kludgery.

And yes, I maintain packages where there would be a lot more effort to
follow this proposal than just sourcing the file and changing a few
configure commands.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read