Re: [RFC] Package build time config for installation directories.

Ben-
  There's only one thing that I would like to see, and that's to facilitate
compiling and installing native packages on other systems.

I currently work on solaris and since I use a lot of GNU tools I currently
download all packages that can handle
./configure --prefix=/sup;make;make install
and they'll just work.

So I guess the system needs to support functionality that I can use
the .orig.tgz files (no debianization) because then I can just apt-get
source and build and have it work, meaning I can automize a dir with non-
standard stuff on solaris.  This would also make the system completely
non-debian dependent (i.e. people can use it on hp-ux for maintaining a GNU
tools tree in /opt by downloading, compiling and installing sources for
example) and allow for a lot of flexibility.

Nils.