Re: RFC: allow output from maintainer scripts

Anthony Towns wrote:
> > dpkg-log "Recalibrating the frobnitzer"
>
> This means future debs can't be installed with the current dpkg. It
> means future dpkg's can never output anything. It means all debs that do
> anything important in their postinst need an --assert-somethingorother
> in their preinst.  Seems like needless complexity to me.

We don't need a --assert.

if [ ! -x /usr/bin/dpkg-log ]; then
	eval 'dpkg-log () {
		while expr "$1" : "-"; do
			shift
		done
		echo $*;
	}'
fi

And if that is too much verbiage, all that is needed is a depends on
whatever package provides dpkg-log. --assert is not intended for this
kind of thing.

--
see shy jo