Re: RFC: allow output from maintainer scripts

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 02:43:32PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > dpkg-log "Recalibrating the frobnitzer"
> > This means future debs can't be installed with the current dpkg. It
> > means future dpkg's can never output anything. It means all debs that do
> > anything important in their postinst need an --assert-somethingorother
> > in their preinst.  Seems like needless complexity to me.
> We don't need a --assert.

You need an assert, a dozen lines of boilerplate code, or versioned
dependencies on an essential package for every package with a
"significant" postinst, and versioned predependencies for every package
with a "significant" preinst, for as long as we want to support upgrades
from anything pre-woody (and by "support" that just means "don't have
things break in a confusing manner").

> if [ ! -x /usr/bin/dpkg-log ]; then
> 	eval 'dpkg-log () {
> 		while expr "$1" : "-"; do
> 			shift
> 		done
> 		echo $*;
> 	}'
> fi

Note that this code doesn't cope with the --pipe option that Jason was
blithely assuming.

And all this for _what_?

Cheers,
aj