Re: RFC: allow output from maintainer scripts

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 03:28:09PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > Or <40 lines of garbage ralating to byte-compiling obscure emacs modules>.
> > Well, yes. "Bytecompiling emacs modules: emacs19 emacs20 xemacs20"
> > would be useful output, by comparison.
> Anything would be useful by comparison (and let's not even talk about
> the packages that spew tex output to the screen and what users think
> about that).
>
> But consider: one of these emacs packages is installing and
> it byte-compiles ok. Why should we display the message? Remember
> staving off boredom is not an answer.

``Policy shouldn't say packages should do such and such, because policy
says packages shouldn't do such and such.'' isn't much of an argument.

I think explaining what's happening so a user can diagnose what's meant
to be happening if something hangs is useful, whether it's staving off
someone's boredom or not.

> I still haven't seen any examples that seem genuinely worthwhile. If
> some can be came up with, this becomes something I might be able to
> agree with:

Consider:

	Unpacking new netbase...
	Stoppiing portmapper: portmap.
	Unpacking new ssh...
	Stopping Secure Shell: ssh
	Unpacking new this...
	Unpacking new that...
	Installing ssh...
	Starting Secure Shell: ssh
	Installing netbase...
	Installing this...
	Installing that...

. Consider trying to diagnose why users were complaining that ssh
wasn't working for a while, even though it seems to have fixed itself
now. Consider trying to work out how come portmap no longer seems to work,
or even be available.

> > So, how about something like:
> > 	Packages should briefly report the main tasks as they undertake
>                  may

Policy's about ensuring consistency amongst packages. "should" seems
appropriate here, just as it does for the manpage requirement.

> > 	them, in a similar manner to that used in init scripts, but
> > 	should avoid producing unnecessary or overly verbose output.

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark