Re: RFC: allow output from maintainer scripts

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 10:56:50AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> > The first paragraph of that section states:
> > 	``The package installation scripts should avoid producing output
> > 	  which it (sic) is unnecessary for the user to see and should rely
> > 	  on `dpkg' to stave off boredom on the part of a user installing
> > 	  many packages. [...]''
> > The fourth paragraph continues:
> > 	``If a package has a vitally important piece of information to pass to
> > 	  the user [...] it should display this in the `postinst' script and
> > 	  prompt the user to hit return to acknowledge the message.''
> Well I'd never really read those two paragraphs side by side I must
> confess.

Likewise.

> > The sorts of information which currently get displayed, but which don't
> > get prompted for, are things like "Restarting internet superserver:
> > inetd", or "Updating /etc/network/interfaces: succeeded".
> Or <40 lines of garbage ralating to byte-compiling obscure emacs modules>.

Well, yes. "Bytecompiling emacs modules: emacs19 emacs20 xemacs20"
would be useful output, by comparison.

> > To me, those sorts of outputs seem useful and helpful
> Some of them, a lot are massively useless debug output.

Yeah, sure. It's the some that I'm interested in though. :)

So, how about something like:

	Packages should briefly report the main tasks as they undertake
	them, in a similar manner to that used in init scripts, but
	should avoid producing unnecessary or overly verbose output.

	If a package has a vitally important piece of information to pass to
	the user [...same paragraph, moved up a bit]

	Packages should try to minimize the amount of prompting [...]

?

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark