Re: identical extended descriptions

>>"Drake" == Drake Diedrich <Drake.Diedrich@anu.edu.au> writes:

 Drake> On Sun, Mar 12, 2000 at 03:57:07PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 Drake> *This* proposal is to file 200+ bug reports because the
 Drake> package descriptions don't duplicate information implicit in
 Drake> package names, package sections, and version numbers.  Before

        If I were Joey Hess, I would find that insulting. The very
 reason the bugs are being filed is that he believes the information
 is not implicit. I tend to agree.

 Drake> those 200 bug reports are filed I think policy section 2.3.3
 Drake> should be modified to state that implicit information must be
 Drake> duplicated in the description.

        Heh. Send in the proposal, then. See how far it flies.

 Drake> I think that duplication would be misplaced, since it's common
 Drake> to all section lib/ and -dev packages, and should instead be a
 Drake> wishlist/patch against dselect/*apt if it bugs Joey so much.

        And against less as well? People often do less
 /var/lib/dpkg/available to scrounge for known packages.

 Drake> Pull your horns in Manoj.

        Pull in my horns? You have gall, thinking that you can get me
 to stop criticizing an objection I consider being on very weak
 technical grounds.  If you don't want criticism, make a stronger
 case.

 Drake> Joey followed standard practice before filing massive
 Drake> automated bug reports.

        Who the heck said automated reports?

 Drake> You've raised some objections.

        When did I object to Joey's suggestion to file reports?

 Drake> I've raised more objections.  From my perspective they're
 Drake> essentially the same objection (information necessary to
 Drake> decide whether to install a package is present in other
 Drake> control fields).

        In your opinion, libs == do not select. Unfortunately, that is
 not a reasonable assumption to make, and most users won't make that
 connection.

        Come up with a stronger argument.

        manoj
--
 If I felt any more SOPHISTICATED I would DIE of EMBARRASSMENT!