Re: priority of x-window-manager

Well, my understanding was a bit wrong.

 at Date: 10 Mar 2000 14:20:19 +0900, I wrote:

>   - Because I use xcalendar-i18n (one of my little Debian package)
> to manage my schedule, but under the not i18n-ready window-managers,
> it can not show Japanese strings in buttons and the daily record itself.
> (i.e. it is no use in such an environment.)
>
> I checked this using fvwm1_1.24r-35. It does not seem to support
> locales other than C. I tried to do "LANG=ja xcalendar &",
> then the error message said:
>
>    Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
>
> But it can show Japanese buttons, messages, my schedules with
> other window-managers.

This isn't correct. It is not supported that "LANG=ja" currently
(though I think it was supported once). fvwm1_1.24r-35 (and twm_3.3.5-6)
can work with xcalendar-i18n using "LANG=ja_JP.ujis".

So, what we get from a x-window-manager with i18n support is
that it can handle fontset (a set of some fonts) to specify
the font of window titles, and so on.

This is essential to add the support for localization, and
this can not be changed by user setting. Users can modify their setting
to choose the strings in menus, icons, window-titles for their language
with the most of recent x-window-managers. But if that x-w-m can not
handle the fontset, then users setting is meaningless at all.

I found #27276 is reopened at BTS. Though this was reported for fvwm2,
Julian (the maintainer of fvwm and fvwm1) respects the request from users,
and left it open on current fvwm. Maybe he will merge the patch for i18n
for fvwm1 also. I will send the patch to BTS.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>