Re: Custom undocumented(7)s are just as bad.

On 30-Jan-00, 08:53 (CST), Michael Stone <mstone@itri.loyola.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 10:18:18PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > I'd much rather have useful info in README.Debian: this is what you need
> > to do to finish configuring (if necessary), here's a one-liner for each
> > major binary of the package, here's what to read to find out more (info
> > pages, man pages, web site, whatever).
>
> As opposed to a man page for the binary that could be contributed back
> upstream to be useful on systems besides debian?

If I'm only going to get one or the other, yes. It was based on the "we
need man pages for each and every binary in the package so that people
can figure out what the package does" reasoning -- for that purpose, I
think a single file with brief description would be more useful than 20
man pages.

And if you call it "README.First" instead of "README.Debian", then you
can still contribute it back upstream, because the content would be
useful to any. Well, perhaps not the "finish configuring" part, because
that's specific to the Debian package.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <vmole@swbell.net>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read